Tuesday 20 July 2010

Exciting times ahead

South coast birder Clare Evans with TUB
Things are looking pretty interesting and I hope to be able to pass on exciting tales to you all over the ensuing weeks.

This weekend I will be 'performing' at the Port Eliot Festival in Cornwall. I will be part of ' The Bird Effects' a series of talks and poetry recitals on Saturday afternoon. I will be sharing the stage with the likes of Phil Daniels (he of Quadraphenia fame) who will be reciting a self-penned poem, writer Tim Dee and my old mucker, Stephen Moss. Each of us will have 15 minutes and my allocated time will be spent talking about urban birding in front of an audience of several hundred.

Straight after, I will jump in a car and drive for millions of miles to north Wales to be fresh in the morning to be part of the Conwy RSPB Reserve's wildlife weekend on Sunday. Is this what it is like to be on the road on tour?

More sedately, I enjoyed a nice cup of tea over the weekend with birder, Clare Evans under the shadow of St Paul's Cathedral. Clare was the woman that first introduced me to the wonders of Twitter. Mind you, I still don't really get it! Although, today I gained another follower in the distinguished shape of Sunday Times journalist, Lynn Barber.

Clare was in London to attend the RSPB's Letter To The Future Conference and we have been trying to meet up for simply ages. She's a lovely lady whose day job is as a time management coach. Quite fascinating.

Off to The Scrubs in the morning. Autumn migration has already started with a couple of Swallows seen winging their way through this morning. We'll see what occurs in the morning.

No comments: