Wednesday 23 February 2011

Extremadura revisited

White Stork
I'm back in Extremadura, Spain until Sunday being looked after by the Spanish Tourist Office. Bit knackered after last night waking up on the sofa in front of the TV at 1.30am - I'm sure we've all done that before at some point in our lives! I then transferred to bed, but woke up again at 4.30am. Packed my case and was at Gatwick for 8am.

I landed in Madrid at around noon and spent the next three hours with some other birders including Dave Gosney on the road heading for Extremadura. On the way we must have seen at least 30 Buzzards, around 8 Red Kite, 10 Kestrel, 1 Golden Eagle, 1 Griffon Vulture, countless migrating Cranes and Greylags as well as plenty of Spotless Starlings.

Staying at the plush Talayuela Golf Hotel and an afternoon stroll around the grounds resulted in a fly over Siskin, plus 2 Woodlark, 2 Rock Bunting, at least 3 Hoopoes plus the usual assortment of finches that included Serins.


2 comments:

holdingmoments said...

If that don't make us envious, I guess nothing will lol
What a great selection.

Neil Spiers said...

Hey arent you a lucky chap?... good weather? Not here in good ole Blighty.