Sunday 31 October 2010

And here's the news

(Russell F Spencer)
A busy week was had since my last posting.

The highlights included being invited to be a writer on the 20/20Vision (http://www.2020v.org/index.asp). For those who don't know about this innovative project it is - in their words - Britain's most ambitious conservation multi media initiative to communicate the link between the restoration of the UK's natural systems and our own well being. Check out their website to find out more and I'll feed you with more information plus my input in due course.

The other great thing to happen this week was that I was invited to be a judge on 2011 Observer Ethical Awards. The actually judging ceremony will be next April with the winners being announced thereafter.

On a negative note, the Canary Wharf Migrant Bird Project that I set up seems to be floundering due to several reasons. I didn't have a hands on approach to this project unlike with the Tower 42 Bird Study Group and as a result there has been a distinct lack of data. I think that this project has the potential to be pretty interesting but it seems as though the Canary Wharf people themselves have lost interest and to date have not been corresponding with me. I get the impression that they expected the trees to be dripping with migrants and I don't blame them given the way the previous study there was sold.

It is a project that has to be judged over a period of years and not after one poorly attended season.

Ah well, you can't win them all.

No comments: