Monday 13 August 2012

Gunnersbury Triangle LNR

 The canopy in Gunnersbury Triangle LNR
 The lovely group I took around the site
I like this mural
On Sunday morning just gone I led a bird walk around the London Wildlife Trust's Gunnersbury Triangle LNR. It is a small yet perfectly formed Silver Birch and Willow woodland in Chiswick, West London that is totally encircled by railway, offices and habitation. There's breeding Sparrowhawk, the usual common tits, Blackcap, Chiffchaff plus over 20 species of butterfly and tons of trees.

Plus there wasn't just woodland on offer. There was a pleasant pocket-sized meadow, a pond and a small marsh. It was hard to believe that I was in the middle of London - it was so lush, quiet and peaceful. The best birds were a handful of Swifts high overhead and a flyby Hobby.

The site is under acute threat from development that that if given the go ahead will encroach on the very borders of the site. The Mayor of London's office is to make a decision on Tuesday that could either block the development or help to destroy what the local people have been fighting to protect for so long.

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Alan Hewitt said...

Good luck for Tuesday

Eagleseagles said...

Meant to say when I saw you at birdfair on Saturday David - for no explicable reason the decision was delayed. We think til next week.I'll tweet you when I know anything. It was a lovely visit to our triangle!
Good to see you on form on Saturday- Serbia looks interesting especially all those LEO's!
C