Monday 2 May 2011

I'd like one of those please

Hobby (Russell F Spencer)
While most of the world ponders if Bin Laden has truely been slain I'm sitting here wondering when I will see my first Hobby of the year. They seem to be all over the place now with one seen down the road from me at the London Wetland Centre and over at Rainham in Essex they had 22 of the blighters!

The Dawn Chorus that I led yesterday morning went well with a reasonable turnout of bleary eyed interested parties. We had nothing out of the ordinary with at least 20 singing Common Whitethroats, around 12 singing Blackcaps, 8 Chiffchaffs and a solitary Lesser Whitethroat and Willow Warbler. I also though that I heard a Sedge Warbler but dismissed it only to be told this morning via text that one was in full song in the area where I thought I had one.

Next week is the last full week of May that I'll be spending London as I will be in Ethiopia the following week on an expedition with BirdLife International until near the end of the month. After a couple of days on British soil I will then be heading out to Alderney in the Channel Islands to compete in the inter-island bird race, amongst other things.

I have a week to find a Hobby - so to speak!

No comments: