Sunday 25 March 2012

Rainham RSPB Reserve walk

Rainham this morning
Originally billed as kids bird walk, my excursion to Rainham this morning was more of an adult affair with few kids in attendance. No matter, I had a great time alongside the talented Howard Vaughan, the reserve's Information Officer (Warden to you and I).

It was a misty, nippy start to the day but by 11am the sun had popped out and our recent spring heatwave continued. We recorded our first spring Sand Martins, Howard's first Black Redstart in two years at the site - a fleeting glimpse of a fine male, a overflying Ruff and distant Buzzard. We also saw a drake Pintail, quite a few Wigeon and a performing Peregrine.

I do like Rainham as I have a long history with the area. As kid I used to venture into the Rainham Marsh of old - pre RSPB days - along with Alan, my then birding buddy who is now more famously known as Cornelious Ravenwing III. We saw many good birds whilst being occasionally shot at by unruly Essex boys. Yes, those were the days......
Howard Vaughan & TUB

1 comment:

BirderRon said...

Maybe we had a bad day there the last time we went. We only got 27 birds during the day - very disappointing considering the distance we had driven to get there. I suppose we will have to give it another go at some time ... weather and health permitting of course.